Friday 29 August 2014

Little English Bookshops - Minster Gate Bookshop


Yesterday I went on a day-trip to York in England, which is a gorgeous old city with streets that remind me very strongly of Diagon Alley in Harry Potter. I just had to drag my mum to possibly the most lovely book store: Minster Gate Bookshop (situated a stones throw from the cathedral). 

York Cathedral! 
It boasts an impressive four floors of bookish delight, including the bottom level 'bargain basement', where I found Tess of the D'Urbervilles for a pocket friendly £2. The cashier is situated in a room on the ground floor filled to the brim with rare and expensive copies of books.I am the proud owner of one such copy: the 1967 edition of K.M. Briggs The Fairies in Tradition and Literature - which I got for my eighteenth birthday. All the other floors cover a wide, wide range of topics, including an international/foreign section!

All the rooms, even the stairways, are filled to the brim with beautiful books in all shapes and sizes including a beautiful edition of Peter Pan that I almost splurged on.

The building is super quiet despite being bang-smack in the middle of a busy street and I could have got lost in there for hours! It's like stepping into a real life fairytale itself because it's in this obviously ancient building equipped with narrow stairways and creaky floors - filled to the brim with that old book smell!

Whoever owns it obviously loves it passionately and has put in a lot of effort to make it perfect. It's a booklovers dream, so if you ever get the chance, you should step in because it's so worth it!

Look at all the books!

Shop front!

Over excited by the calligraphy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment